Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Predestination, Foreordination, and Preterition

 November 15, 2011

1689 Baptists and WCF Calvinists ARE WORLDS apart on predestination

1689.3.3 - 'By the decree of God, for the manifestation of His glory, some men and angels are predestined, or foreordained to eternal life through Jesus Christ,(7) to the praise of His glorious grace; others being left to act in their sin to their just condemnation, to the praise of His glorious justice. (9)

WCF.3.3 - 'By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestinated unto everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death.

Please read and compare. Whoever still insists that the 1689 CoF is just a copy of the WCF is misguided.

WCF states 'double predestination' - 'some men and angels are predestinated unto everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death.'

1689 states 'predestination' and 'preterition' - 'some men and angels are predestined to eternal life... others being left to act in their sin to their just condemnation.'

1689 Baptists and WCF Calvinists are worlds apart!

- Calvinists assert that God FOREORDAINED some to everlasting death. People end up in everlasting death because God has decreed their everlasting death.

- 1689 Baptists believe that God left some to act in their sin to their just condemnation.

=======

18 Comments

Charles
What about the Heidleberg confession or the Canons of Dordt, have you studied them? how do they relate to the 1689 COF

Sing
No idea. I have this understanding - of all those 'classic' Confessions of the period, the latest of that period is the best... the most fine-tuned and accurate, not infallible. So, I didn't bother studying the others. The comparison made above is a fine example!

Sing
No, sir. Who and what are the Primitive Baptists?
I am a PB too... Pauline Baptist... that should be a suitable label.

Rob
Bro. Sing, do you believe that God has both a " secret will " and a " revealed will "? Just curious.

Regina
Bro. Sing, please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Pauline Baptist"?

PJ Walters
Bro. Sing, for future reference, I am not against the 1689 BCoF; I simply have a hard time with it often and can't always understand what definitions they are using. I'm still going to study it more!

Sing
Pj Walters, I didn't write the 1689 CoF... burn it and I won't give a hoot... but if someone carelessly misrepresents it, I may give a honk-honk! <LOL>

That document is not infallible... needless to say but there are always IDIOTS who hurl that accusation! I have strong disagreement with some of its teaching... don't ask.

I appreciate the 168 CoF for its systematic and logical order of setting out the teaching of the Scriptures.

Sing
Bro. Sing, do you believe that God has both a " secret will " and a " revealed will "? Just curious.
=========
Please tell me first what is the 'secret will' and the 'revealed will' of God, then I may be able to answer your question.

Thank you.

Sing
Bro. Sing, please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Pauline Baptist"?
========
I don't know what it is exactly. People want to give me a label. I can't have the copy-righted exclusive Primitive Baptist label... and I do positively abhor the 'C' or 'R' labels.

'Pauline' would be quite safe since Paul was an apostle to the Gentiles like me and I am agreeable to the Lord's teaching through him. And PB (i.e pauline) looks and sounds close to PB (particular baptist) and PB (pristine baptist!).

Cheri Thomas
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

PJ Walters
Perhaps "Christobaptist" would be a better name?

Sing
Pj Walters, quickly patent the word 'Christobaptist' - you will be a million air soon!

PJ Walters
It is not for worldly gain, Bro. Sing. Haha

Michael
what does WCF stands for?

Sing
Westminster Confession of Faith (1646) - by the Presbyterians.