Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

What happened on the way to Damascus?

What happened on the way to Damascus?
 

https://www.facebook.com/sing.f.lau/posts/2244700832499
November 23, 2011

When it pleased God... to reveal His Son in me...

"But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace, to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen..." Gal 1;15-16a

 When was God pleased to reveal His Son IN Paul?
What does it mean 'to reveal His Son IN Paul'?
From what and unto what did God separate Paul when he was still in his mother womb?
Unto what did God call Paul by His grace? Cf Acts 26:16

PJ Walters
"...when it pleased God...to reveal his Son in me..." is what Paul is speaking of. The phrase "who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace" is appositive and simply gives clarity of Paul's view of God.

Paul had been separated (set apart; sanctified) from his mother's womb, not specifically born again from the womb, but purposed, and then called effectually by God's grace.

PJ Walters
Purposed, that is, to preach the gospel.

Chase Harrison
In context, I think the "reveal" is not talking about regeneration but rather gospel revelation that Paul uniquely received directly from God Himself, because just four or five verses prior it says:

"But I certify you, brethren, that the GOSPEL which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the REVELATION of Jesus Christ."

So, I believe the "reveal" in verse 16 is contextually the same "revelation" that is spoken of in verse 12, which is gospel revelation.

Sing F Lau
Paul had been separated (set apart; sanctified) from his mother's womb, not specifically born again from the womb, but purposed, and then called effectually by God's grace.
==========
'Separated from/set apart' and 'purposed' have a very different meaning!
So, tell us, what is that separation? and when did it take place?

Sing F Lau
Acts 8:3 As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.
======
When Saul was ravaging the church, was he a regenerated man? What is his own testimony later on?

PJ Walters
Separation is not regeneration; that much is clear. Are we not sanctified (separated/set apart) for God's purposes?

PJ Walters
There is a sanctification which took place before the world began.

Sing F Lau
Effectual calling is that divine act of separating an elect from his native state of sin and death to that of grace and salvation.

PJ Walters
Effectual calling took place on the road to Damascus for Saul/Paul. Separation took place for him, as is the case for every elect of God, from his mother's womb. That is, he was separated, set apart, for God's purpose of regenerating him at some predestinated point in his life.

Chase Harrison
"separated" does not necessarily or automatically mean regeneration.
Here is a "separation" that is obviously apostolic and to the gospel:

"Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God" - Rom 1:1

Chase Harrison
I tend to think that it is the same type of separation in Galatians chapter 1, given the context of the chapter and the entire premise of the Galatian letter.

Chase Harrison
Quite simply put, I think all Paul is saying there is, "the purpose for which I was born into this world (separated from my mother's womb) was to be an apostle and to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, according to the purpose and will of God."

PJ Walters
This is exactly what I'm trying to say! Thanks!

Sing F Lau
May I ask, are the two actions here - separating him from the mother's womb, calling him by His grace are speaking of the same or different matters?

I think it is very plain from Paul's own testimony what took place on the way to Damascus... Acts 26

15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;"

'I appeared to thee for this purpose...'

Sing F Lau
Separation took place for him, as is the case for every elect of God, from his mother's womb.
===========
Please tell, so what is true of true of Paul is now true of every elect??? Hmmm - this sounds very original with me.

Never mind, so God also separated you from your mother's womb. May I ask, God separated you from your mother's womb unto what?

Sing F Lau
Quite simply put, I think all Paul is saying there is, "the purpose for which I was born into this world (separated from my mother's womb)
========
So being separated from the mother's womb is really just being born into the world.
Why would Paul be stating something so obvious, and which is true of every born? Of course, every one born is separated from his mother's womb.

Charles
I believe I was separated from my mother's womb also!

Charles
I too am living out the purpose for which God call me from my mother's womb. It is not a calling unique to Paul but like Paul's it has to be said only for oneself - noone can say it for you!

Sing F Lau
Of course you were separated from your mother's womb... so is every one born of his mother!!!

What were you separated from WHILE you were still in your mother's womb?

PJ Walters
Paul was saying that God had separated him from his mothers womb for a specific purpose. Now that I think about it, this purpose for which he was born seems to be that of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles.

PJ Walters
And although every elect is set apart from the non-elect for God's purpose of regeneration, it is not necessarily for preaching the gospel.

Preston Walters
Maybe the separating from his mother's womb cold mean separated from the bondage of sin since we are conceived in sin. the separation from the sin( mothers womb) to regeneration.

PJ Walters
It has been considered, but what is plainly meant is his real, natural, flesh and blood mother.

Chase Harrison
EXACTLY, brother PJ. I am glad that you can see and understand this.
I don't see what's so hard about it. Too simple for some, I guess. They think, "it can't be THAT simple! There's GOTTA be more to it."

Once again, consider the context of the entire first chapter. Please allow me to quickly summarize:
- The Galatians had left the truth of the gospel to go back under a part of the law (circumcision) to be saved. They were persuaded and convinced by "false brethren unawares brought in" (Gal 2:4)
- After his greeting, the first thing Paul feels necessary to address is that there is ONLY ONE TRUE GOSPEL, which Paul originally preached unto them (verses 6-10)
- Next, Paul begins to re-certify himself to the Galatians as a true apostle of God and that the gospel that he preaches unto them is the TRUE gospel because of how he received it (verses 11-12)
- Then, Paul addresses his past (verses 13-14), because it is apparent that those false brethren (who had persuaded the Galatians to error) had discredited Paul's apostleship and gospel by using his past against him, i.e. "THIS IS THE SAME MAN THAT USED TO PERSECUTE THE CHURCH! HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE ANYTHING HE SAYS?!?!?" is the type of argument that they probably used against Paul to discredit him and convince the Galatians. Why else would Paul even bring it up or say "For ye have HEARD of my conversation in time past..." ??? Apparently, they heard about it from the false brethren.
- By owning up to his past, he is about to use it as a springboard to further prove that he is a God-called apostle and preacher. This is where our verses come in. Verses 15-16. In other words, what changed him from his destructive path as Saul who persecuted the church to Paul who served the Lord and preached the gospel of Jesus Christ??

Answer:
"But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood"

See? He is building and certifying his own apostleship in the Lord, according to God's grace, despite his past! So that they Galatians will be assured and believe him this time and remain steadfast in the truth of the gospel and not fall into error again.

He even ends the chapter by re-emphasizing the same idea:

"But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. And they glorified God in me."

So don't try to make verse 15 say something that it doesn't say. Read it in the context of what Paul's objective is in the first chapter: to re-establish himself a truly called apostle and minister of God so that the Galatians will be persuaded and assured in the truth of the gospel.

Charles
I believe Saul was regenerated and the new birth HAS to be addressed first before any ministerial calling. "called me by his grace...to reveal his son in me..."that I might preach."

PJ Walters
He can't be simultaneously regenerated and called into the ministry? Is anything too hard for God?

Charles
question to a question: Isn't "separated [by God] me from my mother's womb" inferring regeneration? a new birth, another birth, a spiritual birth beside the common birth of all?

PJ Walters
No, separation and regeneration are distinct. This has already been clarified.

Charles
Are you implying that "separation from mother's womb" is a chemical separation from sinful humanity? Human sin is transmitted thru sperm and egg?

Sing F Lau
Pj, the effectual call is God's act of separating an elect from his native state of sin and death to that of grace and salvation.

To separate an elect from his native state of sin and death to that of grace and salvation REQUIRES the following, in its NUMBER, and LOGICAL ORDER.

1. Applying the righteousness of Jesus Christ... i.e. justification to reverse the condemnation.
2. Regeneration based on the righteousness of Christ applied personally...i.e. to reverse the state of death to eternal life.
3. Adoption into the family of God... to reverse the state of alienation, made members of and given the rights and privileges that belongs to God's child...
4. Given the Spirit of adoption to dwell within... who works in God's children to will and to do God's good pleasure...

When you say, 'No, separation and regeneration are distinct', please tell us what separation you have in mind.

I take Paul's words as stating that he was effectually called to grace and salvation while he was still in his mother's womb.

And he was converted and called to the apostleship on the road to Damascus.