Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Thursday, September 17, 2026

She is inquiring about a RBC

Be careful where you are going!

[13/09/2023, 12:21]
Leonie
Hi, is this Sg Dua Grace Church?

Sing:
Yes, Sungai Dua Church. How may I assist you?
Visit our blog here: https://things-new-and-old.blogspot.com/2008/01/saved-by-grace-through-faith-whose.html

Leonie
Am I corresponding with Ps Lau Sing Foo himself (I can see the photo of you and your wife in your WA profile).

sing
Yes, you are.

Leonie
I am currently attending Xyz RBC evening service
A very trusted friend of mine gave me this link:
Pruning 7 Deformed Branches: 2005
https://pruning-deformed-branches.blogspot.com/

I just want to find out if I am attending a sound Reformed church

I do find XyzRBC's current pastor slightly "controlling" and am not really agreeable to some of their teaching

Sing
Do you mean to ask if XyzRBC is a sound Reformed church?

Leonie
Yes. Are all their teachings correct?

Sing
I don't know since I am NOT aware of all their teachings; moreover, I have had no interaction with them for more than two decades.

I do have serious disagreement with not a few important doctrines of salvation with the Reformed Baptists. Pruning 7 Deformed Branches chronicles the controversy with them. To this day, none have answered them.

I was a member of XyzRBC for a few years (91-93) before moving to Penang to found a new church. I have been here for 30 years.

Leonie
They appear to be a bit "works-based" to me. I believe salvation is for the Elect, and there is basically nothing much one can do in terms of regeneration, faith n repentance and perseverance. Eg: they have been evangelising the same families for years, and those ppl are still hanging photos of other gods in their homes. I believe if one is not elected, there is no point preaching the Gospel to them every single week in the hope that they will be saved through Gospel preaching

Sing
Thanks for your interesting observation.
Remember these basic fundamentals:
- God purposed eternal salvation for His elect in eternity;
- Christ accomplished the same for the same people on the cross; and
- The Holy Spirit applied the same salvation to each elect when they are in their native state of sin and death. 

Eternal salvation is purposed, accomplished and applied freely and sovereignly, without any works of man.

The gospel ministry is ordained to call out those to whom eternal salvation has been applied; the gospel ministry is intended for those to whom God has ALREADY freely applied eternal salvation; it is irrelevant to all others.

AFTER eternal salvation has been freely and sovereignly applied to an elect, he is capable of doing the things God commands him to do, for example, believing, repenting, obeying, etc., etc.

Except a man be born again, he CANNOT...
When a man is born again, he CAN; he is capable...

Leonie
So both of us have the same bone of contention about them. 
I am just a 5-year-old Christian. But I have been to many churches in the Klang Valley, hoping to settle in a sound church

Sing
May our gracious Lord lead you to His truth. Amen.

Take a look here: https://things-new-and-old.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-just-shall-live-by-faith.html

Many articles on the same subject.

Leonie
The Pastor is retiring at the end of this year
They will have a new pastor

Sing
May the Lord bless him richly, and the man who continue the labour. Amen.

Leonie
I was in Xyz RBC for 2-3 months early this year before I start to realise that someone's preaching is a bit moralistic. As we all know John Owen's Mortification of Sins teaches us that only Christ can help one mortify our sins (moral sins included). So I left n joined St Andrews Presbyterian Church KL. Then recently I re-joined XyzRBC's evening service since I am free in the evening. But then again, the same pastor was emphasising Gospel preaching to the unsaved. So I again start to have some doubts. But the new pastor is teaching us 1689 LBCF every Wednesday night now, and I like the teaching. So I guess I have to be careful and not just swallow down everything without spitting out the bones

Leonie
I have been reading some Puritan books to double-check the new pastor's teaching on Regeneration, Faith, Repentance, Assurance of Salvation, Holiness, Sanctification, etc. So hopefully I am not too lost.

I know no church is perfect. I also hope that you won't mind if I occasionally check with you on some of the teachings in Klang Valley which I find "strange" 🤭

Sing
My blog interacts with many of the Reformed shibboleths that I consider not Scriptural.

Peruse the blog to find out: https://things-new-and-old.blogspot.com/

You are welcome to ask and raise questions - this will drive each student of God's word closer to the Scriptures.

Leonie
Thanks. But I noticed that your church also subscribed to the 1689 LBCF? Which is Reformed also
😅

[13/09/2023, 18:04]
Sing
Yes, there are old school Particular Baptists, and there are new school Reformed Baptists. The former framed the 1689; the latter bastardised the same Confession. A serious charge!!!

All documented in the blog. Peruse them yourself... Chapters on the Effectual Call and Justification.

Historically, the Reformed Baptists appeared on the scene in the 1960s.