![]() |
| Doctrinal clarity and inward spirituality are distinct. |
Revelation 2 - KJV
1 ¶Unto the angel of
the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars
in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works,
and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are
evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and
hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne,
and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I
have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore
from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will
come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place,
except thou repent.
6 But this thou
hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 ¶He that hath an
ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that
overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the
paradise of God.
The church in Ephesus was doctrinally sound... but she has left her first love for the Lord, i.e. devoid of inward spirituality.
===========
Reggie Lee
What if this is the
classic case of worshipping credences and creeds?
Sing F Lau
Though inward
spirituality is built upon the foundation of doctrinal clarity, doctrinal
clarity does not always translate into inward spirituality. There may be an outward sense of superiority... elitism.
Bill Taylor
Sing, that
malady is rampant in some (familiar) quarters, brother!
Sing F Lau
Bill, I was
among people with such elitism - "We the Reformed Baptists have the truth..." - for nearly 20 years until an adequate
understanding of free grace, the Lord delivered me. Those new-school Baptists are ignorant of the old-school Baptists.
Bill Taylor
Sing, Praise
God!
