Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Friday, July 15, 2022

A Pastoral Letter



On Dec 25, 2007
Brother Member wrote:

Dear Pr Lau,
I apologise for not being able to speak with you on the phone. I guess that you must be wondering why I did not turn up for any of the talks by J. Crosby. I did not come because I wanted to spend time with my family back home. I don’t come home that often nowadays because I am busy with work and studies. I do realise that I am not discharging my duties as a member of our local church in Sg Dua. I know you all love me in the Lord and I apologise that I did not give you the joy of my fellowship.

Probably, the primary question in your mind is, have I become disaffected? I don’t know how to answer that question. The truth is, it is hard to continue in the ways that our churches have gone throughout these years. For all these years in SD2, I must admit I have distanced myself from many Christian friends that have come my way. As we have rediscovered truths we end up even losing more brethren in the Lord when salvation is solely by the grace of God and that should make us more humble. I have seen how my ... tries to lead in the bible study in KL and it is very discouraging and demoralising and worse still, he loses many Christian friends. Sometimes we wonder what is the point in all, trying to convert these people, pushing them to change. After all, many believers are also benefitting from ministries in their own churches like BSF and the like. BSF itself may not articulate our kind of convictions in that detail but I have seen their worksheets and many people have been blessed through their ministries.

I am not planning to quit or anything like that. But I know that the church cannot endure a brother that walks disorderly. If when such a time that the church decides that I should be removed from membership, I will accept the decision and willingly submit my resignation. I will leave quietly without causing any stir.

Your unworthy bro

---------------

From: sing <singpenang@gmail.com>
Date: December 27, 2007

Dear Brother,

It is good to hear from you. I am relieved to hear your acknowledgement that all at Sungai Dua Church love you in the Lord - for that is a truth we gladly own. You and Brother A, and Brother B as well, are constantly remembered before the Lord at the church corporate prayers - not only because you are in covenant with the body of Christ here in Sungai Dua, but also we do love you, and desire your fellowship, in the Lord. The church body longs to see her non-resident members (by necessity) whenever divine Providence bring them back to Penang.

We are very mindful that you are busy with studies and work, as well as courtship, which is why you are remembered before the Lord without fail each time the church meets... that our gracious Lord would watch over you and guard your heart against being distracted by these lawful and legitimate cares of life, that you will be vigilant and watchful to guard your heart and devotion unto the Lord. We have seen good and fervent children of God snared and choked by these legitimate cares because of carelessness and negligence. They regress into a state of unfruitfulness - as in the parable of the sower. This explains why we pray especially for non-resident members to be kept and preserved. By God's grace, we are our brothers' keepers, to watch out for the saints that the Lord has been pleased to knit together as a church of Jesus Christ.

We do appreciate and sympathize with your desire to spend more time with your parents. It is a godly thing to want to honour our parents by spending time with them. May our Lord bless you richly for your desire to obey and keep His commandment. However, obeying that commandment needn't keep you from assembling with God's saints more frequently during the last SEVERAL days you were back here in Penang.  In better times of spiritual health and appetite, you would strive to be present at such spiritual feasts - like those from KL who took leave to be present at the meetings in Penang. There is that thirsting and hungering after God's kingdom and His righteousness. Be honest with the Lord and your brethren as to why your fellowship with the brethren and the hunger for the ministry of the Word has DIMINISHED so much. A good medical doctor knows the absolute importance of an honest and accurate diagnosis of disease if a cure is to be found.

You and I would agree that obeying BOTH the commandments of the Lord - i.e. honouring our parents by spending time with them, and not forsaking the assembling of the saints would have been a DOUBLE honour to God, and a double blessing to you. The Lord does give grace to each of His children that they are able to observe both His commandments - to His glory, and the edification of the brethren, and our own spiritual good. There is more than enough room for both in a spiritual-minded child of God. Neglecting either one not only robs our God of His glory, but it also deprives both yourself and the brethren of spiritual blessings. Our Lord has said, 'My yoke is easy, and my burden is light... and ye shall find rest unto your souls.'

The incident recorded in Matt 12:46-50 is an appropriate reminder:
"46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.  47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. 48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." 

When we are spiritually unwell and heavy-laden, even the assembling with God's saints for public worship becomes burdensome, instead of being a spiritual delight. Our minds become lethargic, weary of instruction, and despise godly admonition. In such a sad state, may our Lord enable each one of us to come to our senses, and cry out, "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit." Otherwise, one would only backslide further, and suffer the chastisement and scourging of our loving Father, Heb 12. 

The best of God's saints do go through a dry period in their pilgrimage through this world. Trials and cares of the world abound, and we are so inclined to neglect the appointed means for our further sanctification  The strongest may become weary of the race and the good fight of faith. Our Father gives us brethren to bear one another's burden in our journey through this world to our celestial home and glory. I was much edified and blessed to hear the message on 'The Purpose of the Church' by brother Jonathan last Sunday morning. You heard it too. We are reminded of our Father's rich mercy and grace in providing us fellow brethren to care and watch out for one another as we make our journey through this hostile and perverse generation.

The issue of disaffection does not cross my mind. Your spiritual well-being is my chief concern and is uppermost in my mind. I am aware that the Sg Dua Church still has many weaknesses and faults. The church as a body is still learning along the way... amending our shortcomings in our obedience to the Lord... to love the Lord and His truth as He shows it to us, and also to love His saints. Charging a sick sheep with faults and blameworthy would do no good to restore the sheep to health.

I am very saddened to hear that you have distanced yourself from many Christian friends that the Lord has brought to come your way. I am not sure what causes you to do contrary to God's kind providences. The Lord brought them to come your way IN ORDER THAT you may minister His word to them - to your own edification, and their instruction. Maybe you have become withdrawn and inward-looking because of spiritual dryness. If they have distanced themselves from you because of the gospel truth you minister to them, then you should not be surprised at all. All these years I have been working, though feebly, to reach out to those Christian friends whom the Lord is pleased to bring across my life. To my sadness, often these Christian friends would reject me not because I am unfriendly, but simply because they HATE the simple truth of the gospel of free grace in salvation I faithfully present to them. Instead of considering the truth of God's word, deceitful hearts are quick to make smoke-screen to excuse the spiritual problem in their hearts.  I am not the best communicator of God's truth... and that's a fault I am very conscious of. Yes, salvation by grace properly understood has humbled me to the dust... to love the Lord above all, and to hold to the truth of our salvation, and to be charitable to all God's saints.  Distancing ourselves from other Christian friends is definitely contrary to the humility that the truth of our salvation should instil in us.

However, some 'Christian' friends are just not worth keeping for the simple reason - "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." And also, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple." How easy it is to be attracted to those who have good words and fair speeches.

The RBs and many 'fine' Christians avoid me as though I am a contagious plague. I am the first to confess my many faults... and though these saints and sincere Christian friends wish to excuse and justify themselves all they want... the simple truth is, they are fearful to come to term with the truth of the gospel, and the errors of their way. I desire their fellowship and friendship... I would never turn away Christian friends whom the Lord is pleased to bring across my path. I would make a great effort to befriend them and minister the truth to them. I have not, and would not push anyone to change... that's the Spirit's prerogative. But I would with love and plainness show them the truth, and point out their errors. If the Lord is pleased to knit together their heart with mine for the truth's sake, bless the Lord. If our Christian friends are offended by the truth of God I share with them, then may the Lord help me to remain faithful to Him, though I lose the best of friends because of God's truth. If we lose friends because of our own foolishness, then may the Lord have mercy upon us. I would choose the approval of the Lord even if that means losing the best and greatest friends in this life.

... the younger brother should be commended for his godly desire to gather his Christian friends to study the Bible. You may be aware of various weaknesses he has in presenting the truth that he himself may not be aware of. He may not be able to present the truth in the most winsome manner. I myself am very lacking in that area still. And you as an older brother... in Christ, would be best, in the given situation, to exhort him and encourage him in what he is doing, and to help him to recognize, and to overcome those weaknesses in presenting the truth to his Christian friends. You are your brother's keeper, just as he, though a younger brother, is your keeper. Be a Barnabas to him, give him all the encouragement and support you can. Guide him, assist him if you wish him good.

I would speak to him to find out what he thinks of the Bible study. If he finds that it is a joyless task to lead the Bible study, then it is best to stop further meetings. It is certainly no light responsibility that any saint can shoulder. I just thought, initially, that BOTH of you working together, would be able to hold meetings to share the truth of free grace with all whom the Lord would bring across your path. You were such an encouragement to us while with us in Penang, and I believed that others would be similarly edified if you both would study the Scriptures with others. The Lord knows our ability, and if holding Bible study is something too heavy a responsibility to shoulder, then it needs to be laid aside. 

I am sure the people who attend whatever ministries they have chosen to sit under do sincerely believe that they benefit from those who minister to them. Even those in the wildest charismatic ministry also most sincerely believe that they are 'edified.' In any case, no one has disputed or denied whether some sincere folks have benefited from such ministries. I would rejoice with Apostle Paul whenever and wherever the truth of God is preached - "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." But we also take heed of the command, "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."  However good the 'reformed' folks do sound or appear, the fact is, when the gospel of pure grace is preached, they would reject it as heresy. At least that's my experience for the last several years. See how vehemently the RBs reject the truth also.

I don't have the slightest doubt that those spoken of in 2Tim 4:3-4 do believe very firmly that they benefit from the ministries of the men and women they heap upon themselves. They most certainly benefit abundantly from what they seek after, otherwise, they would not be found there.

I am glad that you are NOT thinking of quitting. There are enough foolish men and women, whose first thought is always DIVORCE whenever difficulties arise in their marriage. Covenant consciousness forbids such thought. Divorce solves nothing of the evils that mess up the marriage. It is foolishly running away from the evils that plague the marriage. Even so, with quitting the church. Quitting should be the furthest from the thought of a church member. Quitting is running away from the evils that have brought about spiritual declension. Imagine a wounded hand thinking of quitting from the rest of the body! Humbly seeking the remedy and restoration should be uppermost in our thought. A member may quit a church, but how is he going to quit from the Lord? How is he going to quit from the spiritual problems that are messing up his life? How is he going to tell his Lord and Saviour? Dealing with the evils and making amend and repentant from our negligence to nurse back the marriage to health is what is needed, is what the Lord requires of the man and woman. Even so with each church member.

Brother, please do remember that walking disorderly is far more injurious unto our Lord and Saviour than anyone else. Our Lord's displeasure with the disorderly walking of His children should be our chief concern. Grieving His Spirit who dwells within us ought to wake us up from our sleep and sloth. That's where our personal concern should be. It is Christ who bought us, redeemed us and made us children of the living God, and called us to be His disciples - to walk with Him. Walking orderly as He has commanded us is a very reasonable service, for our own spiritual well-being, to His honour, and the encouragement and edification of fellow pilgrims in Sungai Dua Church, and a witness in the place the Lord has put you.  Our Lord has given you brethren who care and do desire that you may have the joy of salvation and walking with reverent fear before our gracious and merciful Lord. That's my chief concern for you as your unworthy pastor.

Just think of the harm that spiritual declension would bring upon yourself... brother A ... your fiancee... the brethren of Sungai Dua. Above all, the reproach it brings to the Lord who bought us. Think soberly about this matter. Make amend and be spiritually minded, and you could bring so much spiritual good to all around you... especially your own younger brother. It is grievous to stumble him. Set a good example for him, as you had before. It would be grievous too if you are not in a position to give strong spiritual leadership to your future wife. Too much is at stake, dear brother.

May our gracious Father stir up your heart and mind to seek first His kingdom and righteousness. He desires us to be partakers of His holiness in our life here. Do remember that our Father chastises all His children whom He loves. And also the warning of our Lord to us His disciples, "For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." Mt 13:12.

If this mail seems long, you know the reason... I have not spoken to you in person for a long time... I am making up for lost opportunities. I love you in the Lord. You are a dear brother that has been a tower of strength to me in your better days.

To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

your brother and servant in Christ,
Pastor Lau