Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Thursday, July 28, 2022

On Asking Questions (8): questioning and challenging the accepted 'shibboleths.

Any questions? Shoot away!
Just make sure you aim properly!

From: <BumbleBee>
Date: 19 Mar 2004 23:13:18 +0800
To: sing <singlau@myjaring.net>
Subject: Re: FW: John 3:16

Dear Pastor Lau,
Thank you for sharing with me those exchanges of thoughts between you and Pastor B...  I have had a quick read but will need a bit more time to study carefully the "arguments" put forth, especially on the Greek aspect.  I will save it into my "doctrines" file for future reference too.

Pastor XX did share with me some of his thoughts on the "eternal justification" doctrine of the Primitive Baptists (?).  I told him I am open to both views - so-called RB's and PB's, at present.  Looking from the practical aspect, I don't think any true believer in either "camp" would in any way suppress evangelistic effort just because one holds to RB's or PB's view.  Nevertheless, we must endeavour to know the mind of God; we must endeavour to know the theology behind the practice.  So I would also like to know the correct theological interpretation of John 3:16 on salvation, whether conditional or declarative(?).

I pray that the RB pastors will have an open mind when you all next discuss the issues (in your next fraternal?) and to have the grace to deal with possible differences among yourselves in the understanding of this vital doctrine of salvation.

I thank you for your willingness to share and the opportunities for regular feeding of my mind and soul with such in-depth discussions.  I consider it a deep privilege.  Sometimes I have to be careful in speaking my mind on doctrinal things as not all brethren (especially Asian) are able to accept my approach to learning, i.e. by questioning and challenging the accepted "norms" at times.  I feel sad sometimes when I am not able to speak my mind without getting others to become defensive.  Yet I need to learn to consider others' feelings.  I have to forgo my privilege of asking and learning if my questioning may be misinterpreted.  Some have said they benefited by my asking or offering an alternative view, but I am sad that they themselves don't voice their views or participate in the discussion.  I don't want to be seen as "dominating" a discussion.  I really would love to see others feeling free to speak their minds and learn from each other.

But for me, the moment I stop thinking is the moment I begin to rot and die.  May the LORD preserve my mind.

So much for now.  Must go home.  I have enjoyed your family's visit, except that I regret not being able to spend more time with you all.

In the bond of Christ,
BumbleBee
=======

From: sing <singlau@myjaring.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:53:03 +0800
To: <Bumblebee>
Subject: My manner of learning is not unlike yours

Dear Sister BumbleBee,
Your statement, - 'But for me, the moment I stop thinking is the moment I begin to rot and die.  May the LORD preserve my mind' - strikes a deep chord in my heart. I feel the same. And I sympathize with your desire for an open spirit of seeking and learning. I feel the same 'disappointment' as I try to get my fellow pastors to rethink through the issues. There is such resistance and reluctance to think for ourselves with the Scriptures wide opened in our hands. My manner of learning is not unlike yours -  by questioning and challenging the accepted 'shibboleths.'

I am forever motivating and pushing my people to ask and to think all the time. When they think and ask, they are learning, and I am learning. When people don't ask, then I will ask. We need an intellectually robust faith if we are going to have an experientially rich faith!!! But like your experience, some people feel uncomfortable when they are asked and do some thinking!

Your pastor is a very quiet and reserved man when it comes to discussing what he actually believes. He has not said anything while some of us were engaged in a very serious 'argument' on justification. I don't know how your pastor has understood eternal justification. Is justification 'eternal' in the sense that the justification took place before time began, or in the sense that once justified, it is eternally, unchangeably and immutably justified? I have never heard these basic questions asked by any. I am grieved when people object to certain teachings WITHOUT even first understanding what is objected to!

I do actually forward all the discussion mails to all my church members. I want to carry them along in the learning process. I felt that you would also be profited by those vigorous discussions.

So, I am forwarding another (there are many) series of emails to you. I hope I am not making your already busy life busier!!!

In the fellowship of Christ,

sing