Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

On Asking Questions (1) - Cultivate Inquisitiveness

Teach them to question everything;
don't stifle that precious inquisitiveness;
also, truth fears no questioning.

https://www.facebook.com/sing.f.lau/posts/pfbid02anDQoWTCnGRXDNcmYf3aKDGjdUCuWVEPegq8e6rmxe8fLBPjaGaQ3MT7ENv8RUqtl
March 12, 2016

This truth expressed in the meme is so true.

I started to learn better in my early forties when I began to ASK questions, lots and lots of them. Before that, I was reading and learning to memorize what others said. Rote learning is the standard fare.

Unfortunately, by the time most children pass through high school, the inquisitive nature of their childhood has been severely stifled, if not snuffed out - despite all the talks about teaching them critical thinking. In addition, few parents consciously cultivate a culture of inquiry in their children. Inquisitive children may just prove their parents wrong on some of the things they believe. But that was the least of my fear.  I simply didn't know any better, and I have failed to help my children in that direction. Nevertheless, by the grace and mercy of God, they are inquisitive, and self-learning!

It is not too late to cultivate, and master the skill of inquiry. Truth is never fearful of the most intensive inquiry.

Teach them to nurture these six celebrated servants of Mr Kipling.

I Keep Six Honest Serving-Men
I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.

I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine till five,
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men...

========= 

Mark Thomas
No matter your age or experience, never stop asking basic questions. Nor ever stop dealing intellectually with the answers.

David Hwang Hong Shi
An inquisitive mind learns much more as one wishes to know more about his unknown world. Knowledge is acquired through questioning and research,

Rayburn Brooks
Excellent!, I so agree, there is no end to learning for the inquisitive mind.

Dallas Eaton II
Ahh, Kipling