Soft skills to succeed in life
I remember seeing a post on Soft Skills in a
WhatsApp group. I'm a member to two or three groups only; I'm not a 'groupy' man.
People who recycle cyber junk to me do get a private tick off. Maybe what's
ginseng to them is junk to me. 🙂
I have been told on not a few occasions that
I lack soft skills; it dawns on me that this is probably why I'm stuck where I
am. I'm reminded that I don't have communication skill, no finesse; I
remembered that WhatsApp message on Soft Skills. So, I took a closer look.
Among the soft skills listed in the post for
one to be successful are:
- Communication
- Leadership
- Teamwork
- Work Ethics
- Critical Thinking
- Conflict Resolution
- Professionalism
At the top is Communication; there are these
subsets of skills captured in the screenshot below.
Good Listener:
I'm a poor listener; I read okay.
Public Speaking:
I'm a poor public speaker; I know because I
tend to send the audience to sleep; always a painful reminder. I speak by
necessity; otherwise, I prefer quietness.
Writing Ability:
I do write; most say I'm hard to understand.
Presenting Ability:
I'm a boring presenter; the audience is put
to sleep.
Simplify Complex:
I'm inclined to multiply to stupefy; what an
idiot.
Adjust to Audience:
Raising four children into adulthood - I missed
the opportunity to learn this skill.
Stick to Point:
This I have a decent measure; I don't run
amok in all directions; being lazy, I remain in one spot. I'm hopeless at
multitasking, juggling many points at the same time.
Good Vocabulary:
There are still many words I need to learn so
that I don't need to resort to "very" in every other sentence.
Body Language:
What's that? Don't expect much from a stiff
old man.
Clarity and Concise:
I really need to work on this; I'm often
'agak-agak' and 'lawsaw.'
Sorry if I'm disappointing some of you.
Maybe gardening is bad for me; talking to
plants and musing to myself is detrimental to cultivating communication skills.
Hard for an old dog to learn new tricks.
Let's look for a pedigree puppy and start all
over again. Lord, help us.
