Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Who are proper subject for baptism?

Articles of Faith - Subject of Baptism
“We believe that baptism is only properly administered 
to a person who is of sufficient age and sensibilities
to express belief and confidence in Jesus Christ 
for the saving of his soul.”
--------

I saw this statement on baptism.
What do you think of this Article of Faith?
What questions would you ask about this statement?
Thank you.

-----------

Danny
sing: What do you think of this Article of Faith?
“We believe that baptism is only properly administered to a person who is of sufficient age and sensibilities to express belief and confidence in Jesus Christ for the saving of his soul.” 

Danny: This seems an attempt to avoid the crass error of infant baptism. While that is a laudable motive, I believe that what constitutes “sufficient age and sensibilities” or a proper “expression of belief and confidence” is highly debatable and as such would prove difficult to administer without controversy. I’m not offended by this statement’s effort to avoid baptizing a child who has no concept of what is going on, but I am not fond of this expression of the matter.

sing: What questions would you ask about this statement?
Danny: I would want to know:

1. How do you define a proper expression of belief and confidence in Jesus Christ?
Danny: I’ve heard a lot expressed on this matter that makes me uncomfortable. What constitutes the proper expression? Does it include an understanding of the church? What about the Trinity? Does it include an understanding of discipleship? If one says “Yes” to any of these questions (and others like them) then what measure of understanding is required? Perhaps more to the point, where does one substantiate their position on the matter from scripture? These questions are more perplexing than some are willing to admit. As we pull on those threads we may find ourselves unraveling the whole garment.

Danny: I think it’s best to recognize that these are difficult questions to answer and that gospel ministers are required to make judgment calls on such matters. For example: a child who wants to get baptized because they saw their mother do it and it looked fun splashing around in that water might receive different consideration from one who has a simple profession of faith in God and a desire to obey. Baptism should not be trivialized by administering it inappropriately, neither should it be denied simply because a candidate lacks the understanding that they will receive in discipleship. I’m comfortable stating that gospel ministers make judgment calls in this regard and that we are held responsible for our decisions. It seems helpful to note that there is no examples of a believing child being denied baptism in the NT but men are rebuked for disregarding the sincere desire of children to approach the Lord (Matthew 19:14). Neither observation is definitive on the administration of baptism, but they do provide some directional guidance.

2. Why is there an “age” reference?
Danny: Perhaps this is straining at gnats, but in the spirit of expressing my honest concern about the statement, I would avoid any reference to “age.” I say this largely because of what men often do with such references, not based on the intent of the statement itself. Children grow at different rates and so likewise does their spiritual maturity.

Danny: The Xyz Articles of Faith make the following statement on baptism:
“We believe that Baptism and the Lord's supper are ordinances of Jesus Christ, and that true believers are the only subjects of Baptism, and that immersion is the Apostolic mode.” (Matthew 28:19, John 3:22-23, John 22:17-20, Acts 8:3)

Danny: I am comfortable with this statement of the matter, though I recognize that it too is open to interpretation. Indeed, how one defines “true believers” is apt to generate a variety of opinions. May God give us wisdom in the administration of His ordinances such that we neither trivialize them nor withhold them from the little children who sincerely approach the Lord, for of such is the kingdom of God.

sing
Danny Thank you most kindly, Sir, for your helpful comment.

Robert
Danny, "True believers" is simple 1 John 5:1“Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: " we need not question their eternal destiny beyond a profession.

Sing
Robert, what would be a believer that is not true, I.e. false?

Robert
sing, no such thing it's an oxymoron.

sing
Robert: Why do you need to qualify the noun 'believer' with the adjective 'true'?

It's like saying a true man; then what is a man that is not true?

Robert
sing, I was responding to the Article of faith from Xyz Article of Faith that uses that phrase, I wanted to clarify that point for future readers that this term used by Calvinist's is used to continually judge others' eternal status in the church is unscriptural.

Jackson
What is the sufficient age and sensibility?
Is this statement inferring that the belief and confidence in Jesus Christ is what saves a sinner's soul?

Danny
Jackson - In my experience, when that language is invoked it is in reference to eternal salvation. As a result, that observation is another possible bone to pick with the statement.

Jackson
Danny exactly. See my DM, I go into a bit more detail.

Marty
Here is what I think is the scriptural requirement:
"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him." (Acts 8:36-38)

Karl
As one who was baptized at a very young age, being put under a microscope as to whether my sensibilities and age were sufficient would have been crushing to my spirit, and quite a stumbling block to my walk with the Lord. Age and sensibility had nothing to do with it- nor did I- that faith that prompted me forward to join the church was a gift solely of the Holy Ghost exclusive of intellect or maturity, and it was simple and sincere and without the doubts that such examining questions would have fostered in me. Thirty-one years later I am extremely thankful that the church and pastor I had put no hierarchical requirements on the faith God had given but just counted it a blessing and all of Him, and welcomed me with open arms, glorifying the Lord for His work rather than being impressed by age or sensibility. Just thought I’d share from experience. Let the little children come unto Him!

Danny
Karl: As one who was baptized at a very young age, being put under a microscope as to whether my sensibilities and age were sufficient would have been crushing to my spirit, and quite a stumbling block to my walk with the Lord.
Danny: I can only imagine.

Karl: Age and sensibility had nothing to do with it- nor did I- that faith that prompted me forward to join the church was a gift solely of the Holy Ghost exclusive of intellect or maturity, and it was simple and sincere and without the doubts that such examining questions would have fostered in me.
Danny: Well said. I don't doubt it. Interesting that the Lord addressed adults as needing to receive the kingdom of God with the humility of a little child (Mark 10:15), while many today tell children they need to receive the kingdom of God with the understanding of an adult. When you're preaching precisely the opposite of what the Lord taught, it's time to reconsider.

Karl: Thirty-one years later I am extremely thankful that the church and pastor I had put no hierarchical requirements on the faith God had given but just counted it a blessing and all of Him, and welcomed me with open arms, glorifying the Lord for His work rather than being impressed by age or sensibility.
Danny: Amen.

Karl: Just thought I’d share from experience. Let the little children come unto Him!
Danny: Thank you for sharing that experience.