Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Monday, October 23, 2023

I was asked: "... must we strive for KJV only?"

 


April 25, 2014
h
ttps://web.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10201935410482361&set=a.10201935175556488

I was asked, Must we strive for KJV only?

My simple reply:
In my 30+ years as a Christian, I have used many translations. My first was the Good News Bible - given to me during an evangelistic meeting while a first-year student in secondary school. The Chinese Methodist church that I went to in the little village has RSV bibles (along with the Chinese bibles, Union version)... so I used that for several years too. Then I went to Australia in 1980, to a high school in Dandenong, Victoria, and attended a Baptist church that used KJV, so I used it for a year in 1980. I went to Sydney U the next year. I joined the OCF - they used NIV and I was with them for several years. The church I went to in those years used NASV, and I was there for 6 years. I was so impressed with it that I bought a few copies of the hardcover deluxe edition for my future family - though I wasn't even married then. (They are still in "as new" condition on my bookcases). I went to a fundamentalist bible college in Singapore that uses KJV. Then I went to a seminary in London, where both NASV and NIV were used. In 1991 I returned to Malaysia, and the church I attended in KL for 2 years used NKJV. During my first 10 years as a pastor in Sungai Dua, I used NKJV.

Because of intense doctrinal controversies, I deliberately and consciously chose to settle on the KJV, and I have been more than happy to keep using it ever since.

If you believe that a sinner's justification BEFORE God is by the faithfulness of Christ in His redemptive works, and not by the believing act of condemned unjustified sinner, I suggest that KJB is the ONLY English translation that preserves that glorious, precious and momentous truth for you.

I leave it to others who are SMARTER and MORE informed and capable of dealing with the translation issue. I'm more than contented just reading. studying, learning, and teaching from that good ole translation - the KJV. And don't say the KJ's English is difficult - my 4 children experienced little.

And no, I'm not a KJV-onlyite. However, I believe it is the most reliable translation in English that I'm acquainted with. I have heard some say that the KJV is the INSPIRED translation. To me, that's a fable.

The copy I'm presently using is an old copy - at least 50 years old. It was abandoned in a bookcase by my third brother - he went to a St Xavier Primary School and got that no-frill hardcover copy; the print is a bit small. It is completely without any information of the publisher or printer. (pictured above).

I'm sorry if I fail to answer your question.

(Recently, I started using a new copy with bigger print - a super-expensive gift from Brother Scott Collinge in NZ - produced by Local Church Bible Publishers. 
25 April 2020)
-------------------

Comments

Josiah Lau
I think first of all as your son I am privileged to have been brought up in a home where a good command of English was hammered into me when I was young. With that foundation in basic 'modern' English, reading the KJV was easier - compared to others. So I cannot presume the same 'ease' for others who have grown up in homes where English is neglected. I suppose you will have seen some of the difficulties others face with English, having taught English in Chung Ling. Of course, bad English is not an excuse, if grandma could learn Mandarin at 60-70 in order to experience the joy of reading God's word for herself, I'm sure someone with weak English can master English to experience that same joy from the English Bible. But some must surely experience greater hardship along that road.

The reliability of the translation is not all. Dividing the word rightly must be done. There are enough Christians who cling to the KJV but divide badly, and you know that better than I do from your theological discussions. So yes, we want to have the most reliable version, but that's not all, for we must build our study upon it. And it's not easy. Reading is simple for me, and understanding the literal meaning is easy (as you say) but from sermons, I have had my eyes opened again and again by the true 'sense' of the word. So, the KJV isn't that easy - and I would contest what you said about us (well, me at least) experiencing little difficulty. 😛 Understanding the superficial meaning is fine, getting the sense requires hard work. But as said, one can work a lot on the wrong foundation and go nowhere... having the right foundation (or at least the more consistent/reliable one) helps a great deal. You have already mentioned the blessing of getting out of theological controversies. Dare I presume it's a blessing? I think it is! So a reliable translation and dividing rightly are two things that mutually reinforce.

Lastly, I think we are clear that the KJV matters not in the initial conversion (the gospel is preached regardless of what bible we use - I certainly wasn't converted by the gospel "preached from the KJV") - but the subsequent growth and temporal salvation of the saints. So, back to your initial question... KJV only? A resounding yes when it comes to our spiritual growth and a closer walk with God. But (perhaps thanks to the KJV) we also know the KJV, just like our faith and works, doesn't matter a whit for our eternal salvation.

Sing F Lau
The Bible pictured above has a very historical moment in my life. In early Feb 1980, I who was a little village bumpkin, was about to leave for a high school far far away in Melbourne, Australia, and was reading from that copy through Genesis to find some strength and help. There were so many uncertainties, fear and trepidation. Dad scrounged what he could to buy the air ticket, and raised one month's allowance. The Lord was most gracious in such a situation. He comforted me from the vow of Jacob in Gen 28. That vow was embedded in my heart and became my strength and assurance and comfort through those years away from my father's house.

20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
21 So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

The Lord is exceedingly good to me and my house. When I left my father's house he was still an unbeliever. When I returned several years later, he inquired about baptism and wanted to be baptized. That's amazing! And He provided for me all through those years.

Charles Page
Sing, an amazing personal testimony and an impressive response from your son.
I too am an Appalachian bumpkin and ended up bumping in Turkey, in 1974, and there exposed me to all the various translations, particularly from the American Bible Society. Good News was a favourite for a time and then wide-margin RSV, without notes, in notebook form, just my own notations.