Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Guard thy words

Guard every word when speaking

#guardthywords

Thank you for this reminder of the pureness of heart...

I'm learning a few things:

"Keep THY heart with all diligence": 'thy' is second person singular, directed to each one of us personally; why are some so diligent trying to keep the hearts of others? Let the Lord and His word do that.
- I must mind my own heart; I'll leave the hearts of others to the Lord. Amen.

Guard every word when speaking/writing

This means personally...
- I will speak for myself... I must be careful not to be presumptuous, putting my own words into someone's mouth.

- I will speak for others only if I'm authorized to do so; or when they are dumb and can't speak for themselves.

- I will direct my words to the specific issue at hand, and be careful not to drag in any unrelated matter.

- I will endeavour to use the right word to convey the right meaning to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding or confusion; that is, I must discipline myself to avoid soundbytes.

- I must not assume; therefore, I will ask precise questions to make sure I have understood what has been said or written.

- I will endeavour to point out what I consider as illogical, without common sense, or unscriptural. Elegant silence [deliberate refusal to speak] is the antithesis of "guard every word when speaking/writing".

- I must be prepared to answer any questions concerning what I have spoken/written; not doing so is irresponsible and cowardly.

- I will readily admit and apologize when shown I have used careless or wrong words, and rephrase my thoughts to convey the message I intended.

Just a few thoughts on applying to myself the good message you posted.

Thank you again. May the gracious Lord give me the grace to love and cultivate pureness of heart. Amen