Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Giving, and Seeking Counsel

Hear counsel, and receive instruction,
that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
Proverbs 19:20 


Giving Counsel

From: singlau <singlau@pd.jaring.my>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:25:38 -0800

Dear Pastor A
I have been very troubled ever since last Tuesday's fraternal; especially by your public statement concerning Pastor B’s fitness to remain in the ministerial office. It came to me like a thunderbolt out of the blue sky. All sorts of questions have been going through my mind.

For the moment your statement has not cast any doubt in my mind about B's fitness to remain in office, for he is, in my mind, innocent until proven guilty. And even if proven guilty of the act (what it is, I really do not know and don't have the slightest clue) which you deem so serious as to disqualify a man from ministerial office, we still have to consider whether that act itself, in the light of Scriptures, disqualifies a man from office.

I hope you have not yet made up your mind on the matter because under the disturbing circumstances you are in, it is most unwise to come to a conviction on such a serious matter. I fear that your poor judgments have been manifested through the various matters you have handled lately, notably Gun's speedy admission into membership. I may be entirely wrong, but I fear that your actions show that you are reacting to the situation, instead of acting on principles and constitutional requirements. I am just trying to say that it would be unwise to have your mind made up on such a serious matter because it may be a conviction clouded by prejudice because of the circumstances you are in.

Do you consider that act a private offence? If it is a private offence, then it is best to settle it at the private level. Is it a personal offence against you? or against someone under your charge?

All these years, we are given the impression that you and B have settled the matter, which means, for one thing, you have forgiven him the wrong done to you, and that time will heal the wound. And what you have forgiven is to be remembered no more - that's how I understand forgiveness. But obviously, things are not so; the case was never biblically settled. If it was, then it will be raised NO more. But now you are raising it, and this time even in public!

I really don't know why you are doing so. Is it for anyone's good or to restore someone's reputation? for the good of the Fraternal [pastors’ fellowship] or the churches'? Is it for God's honour and His truth? Is it out of love for the guilty party, in order to restore a ministerial brother, who in your eyes, has fallen? I can't help but wonder about your reason and motive for doing so. Is there no way to settle it privately? Is there no repentance forthcoming from the guilty party? Is there no forgiveness from the offended party? Is there no reconciliation? Is there a genuine loving desire to restore a brother? What would you consider a satisfactory resolution to the issue - B leaving the ministry? B admitting his wrong publicly? Have you ever proposed to B how the matter may be resolved satisfactorily or acceptably to you? 

PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT I AM ASKING ALL THESE IN THE MOST BROTHERLY SPIRIT, DESIRING ABOVE ALL ELSE TO SEE THE A-B ISSUE RESOLVED FOR THE OVERALL GOOD OF THE CHURCHES. PLEASE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT ANY OTHER WAY!!!

Or do you consider B's wrong a public offence, and such as must be dealt with publicly? This can't possibly be since you both have kept the matter for so long! And the sad thing is that it looks like it is going to spill out beyond both of you into the churches.

I suggest that you consider VERY CAREFULLY before you proceed with the next move on the matter. I urge restraint and sobriety. Even if B is wrong, I would urge sympathy. If I am in the guilty party, I would plead that my ministerial brethren show sympathy. And if I am the wronged party, I would remember apostle Paul's words, "Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted."

I am heartbroken that the situation has come to this stage. May the Lord of grace and mercy spare us from our folly, and help us to be circumspect.

Kept by His grace and mercy alone,
sing.

========

Seeking Counsel

From: singlau
To: GeneDad
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2002, 11:35 PM

Dear brother Gene,

I need your wisdom and advice. Here is a complicated matter. Pastor A knows of something concerning Pastor B that he is convinced should disqualify him from the ministerial office. What that is, we don't have a clue. All we know is that it happened years back in 97. The relationship between A and B has been somewhat tumultuous all these years and is affecting all of us and churches here.

But now A is calling for a panel (consisting of Pastor C, Pastor D, and myself) to hear his case against Pastor B in the presence of Pastor B. 

I need your advice. Should I attend the hearing? If you were in my position, will you attend? What can be accomplished?

What is your view on what will disqualify a man from continuing in the ministerial office?

Your advice is much needed.
sing