Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Monday, July 16, 2012

"Let the day perish wherein I was born..."



Matiu
How many bible christian thinks it is Not biblical, especially baptist, to celebrate birthday of another saints? Who does celebrate birthday as recorded in the bible?

Janey 
The one who celebrated his birthday is the Pharaoh, which wasn't good for the baker.

Matiu
Verses please?

Janey
Genesis: 40:20-22 (KJB)
20 And it came to pass the third day, which was Pharaoh's birthday, that he made a feast unto all his servants: and he lifted up the head of the chief butler and of the chief baker among his servants.
21 And he res...tored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand:
22 But he hanged the chief baker: as Joseph had interpreted to them.

It looks like celebrating birthdays are NOT biblical, which always involves with someone getting killed, and focuses on self instead of the LORD.See More

Matiu
How about New testament?

Shaw
Just celebrated my daughters b-day last week.
And they announce b-days at FWBC too.

She is speaking of this. Which if course is not listed as a sin, but a record of event.

Genesis 40:20 And it came to pass the third day, which was Pharaoh's birthday, that he made a feast unto all his servants: and he lifted up the head of the chief butler and of the chief baker among his servants.

Matiu
Yeah shawn, methodist strongly practice this also for children and also "new comer".

Shaw
Obviously people kept track of their birth days or how else did they know the age of a person?

Genesis 17:24 And Abraham was ninety years old and nine, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.

Matiu
Genesis 17:24 And Abraham was ninety years old and nine, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
<<< It was not recorded that it was on the same day of his birthday. The verse about 8 days for young children to be circumcised also not too far into reading.

Matt 14:6 But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod.
Mark 6:21 And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, high captains, and chief estates of Galilee;

2 verses shown that the same day the "request"(actually snare) for chopping off baptist head was asked.

Matiu
How about this verse?
Gal_2:20 *I am crucified with Christ*: nevertheless I live; *yet not I*, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
============
As far as I am aware, crucified meant death, that was a death penalty.

Pen That's true! If I remember correctly... someone was behead at all the birthday celebrations mentioned in the Bible (2 i think).

But like all things in life... I think it really depends on where a person's heart is!

Matiu
How about this verse?
Gal 2:20 *I am crucified with Christ*: nevertheless I live; *yet not I*, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
============
As far as I am aware, crucified meant death, that was a death penalty.

Pen
I don't understand the connection between birthdays and that verse??

Matiu
When is the old nature born? What does the "birthday" celebrations trying to do to the person being "celebrated"?

Pen
ummm, I dunno.... sorry... it's still over my head.

Matiu
Whose head was chopped off at the birthday of herod?

Pen
John's

What about ...... "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day,... to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself." Rom 14?See More

Matiu
If you are john's follower at that time, what would be the most "natural" reaction to any such event later?

Pen
oooohhhh! so are you saying that John's followers would then be afraid to celebrate a birthday cause someone might get beheaded??

Matiu
Did paul remind about birthday's event to these followers when he first met them after the resurrection event?

Pen
I dunno.. did he? And if so, where at?

Matiu
No, pual did not. Why he did not is the more proper question?

Pen
Ok... I'll bite :) .. Why didn't he?? ;-)

Matiu
‎Shaw, Still following this comment trail?

Janey
How about the Harold who want to find Jesus and kill Him by sending the 3 wiseman to search for Him after he heard about Jesus' birth?

Matiu
Nay....the worst of all is the "wish and blow off the candle"??

Pen
Even so, I couldn't imagine not have a birthday party for a kid!

I think it's as much fun for the parents as it is the kids :)

Sing F Lau
A man's broken background can adversely affects and colors his view of life - uncle Matiu is an example. You will see evidence from below...  just read on.

There was once a man who "was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters."
And this man who... feared God celebrated his children birthdays... such that when they grew up and had their own families, they celebrated their birthdays too.

Go and read Job a little. Gill has an interesting commentary on Job 1:4.
"And his sons went and feasted in their houses, everyone his day"... everyone HIS DAY... EVERYONE his day! Read that?

What's your day, Matthew? Are you thankful to God for each year He lends to you?
Are you thankful to your mother - sending her a gift on your day?

We are going through Job in the evening service now.See More

Matiu
I do not know, that old man is dead, if you like that heathen worshipping rebels, you can ask the Lord. As far as I know, Scripture declares it's death. Did you see anywhere in NT Paul commanded such pride filled flesh edification? Yes, I am using the word 'it'.

Sing F Lau
To him who sees birthday celebration as "pride filled flesh edification", then to him is "pride filled flesh edification."

You asked, "Who does celebrate birthday as recorded in the bible?"

Your question is answered, hasn't it? You don't ...even have the courtesy to acknowledge it!!!!!

Now, you have moved your goal post by asking, "Did you see anywhere in NT Paul commanded such pride filled flesh edification?"

That the wrong question. Your question presupposes that birthday celebration requires a divine sanction. The right questions are, does birthday celebration need biblical sanction? Is birthday celebration part of divine worship? Has birthday celebration been forbidden in the NT?

The pride and stubbornness of the old man are still much alive!!! They need mortification.See More

Matiu
What's your day, Matthew? Are you thankful to God for each year He lends to you?
Are you thankful to your mother - sending her a gift on your day?
-----------------
I do not know, she is now in hell. I perfectly believe she is right now res...erved for everlasting contempt as she worship another BarJesus like my brother did. Please tell that to anyone from my family, and if God does not grant them repentance unto life, Praise be to Him for:
------------------
Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.See More

Matiu
Are you thankful to God for each year He lends to you?
-------------
Yes. But not to the day old man I was naturally born, God gave than man death sentence. As for the new birth, I suspect even lazarus does not know which day it was raised...., unless it was told him. God never did mention to me explicitly.
-------------
Gal 2:20 *I am crucified with Christ*: nevertheless I live; *yet not I*, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself forSee More

Matthew Ong This declaration is spiritually true for all saints, I believe, there is only one way of regeneration written in the bible.

Sing F Lau
Sorry to hear that your mum has passed away.

Don't let your thought be scattered tooooo much. Stick to the subject.
Don't need to avoid it... "Who does celebrate birthday as recorded in the bible?"

When you asked that question, did you mean natural birthday or spiritual birthday?
Don't move goal posts in discussion... it is very shameful.

So, do you think Job's children celebrated their natural birthdays or their new-birth dates - assuming that such birthdays can be known.

Matiu
"Sorry to hear that your mum has passed away.
<<< I am not sad at all, I expected her to be, because she and her other family member are constantly used to attacked me. The LORD used her to show me, "you cannot FAKE" to be a christian. Hard but goooooooooooooooooooood truth. I saw how my father and mother still have the "sting of death" with them at their last few moment. Tooo bad for my brother, he "ran" away from his own mind. But, "he cannot FAKE death".
===================
I think only wesley and gill commented on this "his day" as birthday. Now I can understand why the methodist insisted on "birthday" for children and their member and doing it round the year for the cell-group setting. Blowing of candle is one of the focus of the event.
I do not think it is so, because if these are practiced celebration within OT the bible might have recorded such important feast for king david or solomon. If you can find one clear explicit text, I might consider.

[uncle Matiu mistakenly thinks Gill is a methodist!]

Sing F Lau
Matiu, go on thinking what you wish to think...
I will think of Job's testimony anytime more than your thoughts!!!
No need to waste further time.
Thanks Matthew. Take good care. The Lord bless you.

Matiu‎
http://www.letgodbetrue.com/pdf/contemporary-christianity.pdf
=================
Listed there is "birthday"

Sing F Lau
At last you hope you have found a straw to hold on to. Well done!

"Birthday" is not listed there! You can't even quote properly.
"singing Happy Birthday" is listed there.

So, are you and the author talking about the same thing?
What does he mean by "singing Happy Birthday"? Perhaps as a gimmicks and tool of saving souls? May be sing 'happy birthday' to Jesus on 25th December? Did you ever find out? Are you addicted to sound-bytes as well?

Do you ever even think and ask - how does celebrating birthday in thanking God for His goodness constitute "inventions and alterations made to the simplicity of the gospel"?

And perhaps you may like to ask the esteemed author if he honors his parents in some ways by doing something special for them on their birthdays?

It is so very tedious and wearisome reasoning with you.
I'm done. Matiu, go on thinking what you wish to think...
And may the Lord bless you.