Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Saturday, December 11, 2021

A popular and prevalent belief among Christians

 

https://www.facebook.com/sing.f.lau/posts/1182086067794
December 11, 2012

Here is a popular and prevalent belief among Christians. Do I represent it accurately? It goes like this:
- God gives the gift of faith to the UN-saved, i.e. those still in their native state of sins and death...
- The recipient of this gift then makes use of that gift to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior...
- As and when he does so, he is given the gift of eternal salvation from God.
- And all this is STILL salvation by God's free grace.

I do abhor misrepresentation. May I know if the above is a fair and accurate representation of that popular belief? Is that your understanding of how you are saved by God?
======

13 Comments

Dellis Layne Worsham Sr.
No Sing, If one has faith to believe, isn't he saved? or can he reject salvation and remain a believing lost man?

Julio Jr Perez Postrero
"God gives the gift of faith to the UN-saved,"
--------
for we know that faith is after life... God gives the gift of faith to the saved...

Sing F Lau
Dellis Layne Worsham Sr. and Julio Postrero, thank you for pointing out the obvious logical fallacy of the position I stated.

But before we can deal with the soundness of the belief, we need to make sure that we have represented the belief accurately?

Sing F Lau
Thanks, Brother Scott Collinge. Then the belief I have stated would be descriptive of the Calvinists!

Sing F Lau
Julio, God gives the gift of eternal salvation to the unsaved so that they are saved to the uttermost. The indwelling Spirit works the grace of faith and all other saving graces in them that are saved.

PJ Walters
These seem to be accurately stated and fairly asked. I know of many Reformed brethren who hold such a position and a few Arminian brethren.

Julio Jr Perez Postrero
thanks... Ptr. Sing F Lau..

Charles Page
The administrator of MABTS gave me the School's handbook to read thinking my reading their doctrinal position would convince me that the sign I was holding was (Repent Semi-Pelagians) incorrect. I saw him again another day when he came out to see if I had read the book. I opened the book and showed him the underlined words "The Holy Spirit regenerates the one who makes Jesus Christ Lord" and it was like a light come on in his facial expression. "I guess that is not a good statement!" he said and turned, got in his golf cart and left.

Dellis Layne Worsham Sr.
Sing, I read your article and really made sense of it. I have come to know you as one who does not pull punches and I am one who can take one if it means keeping me on track. Your answer to my post leaves me guessing whether I pointed it out the wrong or right way. please elaborate.