Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

John 6:37 - the two comings


He reasoned with them OUT OF the Scriptures, opening and alleging 

On Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:30 am Mark wrote:
Subject: John 6:37

Hello. My name is Mark C and I am a member of Trinity Baptist Church in Vancouver, WA. I am just learning calvinism and am a work in progress. I am wrestling around with a verse in the bible that several pastors I know can answer for me. Maybe one of you can help me.

John 6:37
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Several pastors, including J. V M state that this verse shows election AND free will. Is that true? Every commentary I have is not reformed tradition. I'm new at this reformed thing. I'm trying to get a Reformation Study Bible with the reformed notes, but haven't got the money for it yet. Even pointing me in the right direction would be helpful.

God Bless
Mark

--------

On Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:35 am, sing wrote:

Hello Brother Mark,

John 6:37
"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

Since none has responded so far, let me suggest that there are two distinct comings spoken of here. Let me explain.

a. "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me;"
Here is the coming that involves ALL that the Father gives to Jesus, each and every one of the elect. All the elect were given to Christ in the eternal covenant of redemption. And each of them is given to Christ in time when God, at His appointed and approved time, draws each to His Son Jesus Christ. “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day… And he said, therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father” John 6:44, 65.

The drawing here speaks of the effectual call to grace and salvation out of the state of sin and death. And each elect shall be effectually called at God’s appointed and approved time.

Therefore, the first coming involves ALL THE ELECT in their effectual call to eternal salvation by the free and sovereign grace of God - "Those whom God hath predestined unto life, He is pleased in His appointed and accepted time, effectually to call, by His Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ..."

This coming into vital union with Christ in REGENERATION is solely by the free and divine grace; each elect is absolutely and completely passive, being dead in trespasses and sins. This coming is by the divine effectual call, issued to individual elect DEAD in trespasses and sins. This coming is solely by the effectual and irresistible power of God in drawing out an elect from the state of condemnation, death, and alienation. It embraces every single elect God gave to His Son Jesus Christ.

b. "and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out..."
The coming involves the effectually called individual elect who does hear and believe the gospel, and by faith, receives and rests in Christ and His righteousness for eternal salvation. This coming to Christ in CONVERSION is through the gospel call administered by preachers sent forth by Christ, issued to children of God, calling them to believe what is already true of them. Those already effectually called to grace and salvation, i.e. justified, regenerated and adopted – will hear and believe the gospel, the good news of their salvation. The hearing of the gospel is blessed and made effectual to conversion by the Spirit of God.

Only one that has been VITALLY UNITED TO CHRIST by the effectual call is able to come to Christ experientially by faith through the gospel call. ‘Him that cometh’ speaks of the active response of receiving and resting in Christ and His righteousness in the gospel call.

This does not speak of the free will of sinner dead in their trespasses and sins. This speaks of free agency of those that God has made alive. This speaks of human responsibility of God's children. Those effectually called to grace and salvation are responsible to believe, therefore called to believe, the gospel truth concerning their salvation by God’s free grace.

So, let every sinner be encouraged, and come to the Savior. Him that comes to Christ He will in no wise cast out! Why? Because him that comes to Christ does so BECAUSE the Father has given him to Christ in the eternal covenant, and is effectually called by the Father, and is now summoned to come by the gospel call issued through the God-sent ambassador of Christ. So, let even the chief of sinner come boldly, with reverence. Christ stands ready to receive all such repentant sinners.

It is a common and popular error even among reformed people that ALL the elect will hear the gospel and believe in the word of truth, the gospel of their salvation. However, there are effectually called elect who will never hear the gospel during their life time on earth.

It is also a common and popular error even among reformed people that the gospel call is the necessary means to effectual call, i.e. no preaching, no effectual call to eternal life.

I would avoid a study bible... it takes great discipline to distinguish the divinely inspired word from human ideas that are put side by side with it! The danger of elevating man's opinion to the level of God's word is very real and subtle...

What's calvinism?

just my simple understanding,
sing.
(a chinese lad in the far east)