Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Exalt yourself a little higher, then it stinks. 自大一点 >>臭

自大一点
rephrased as "exalt yourself a little higher" then it stinks.
(Thanks, Joe Chin)

A simple lesson on humility.

Today is the new year day of the Chinese lunar calendar. We are spending our reunion with the family of my second Brother in JB. This morning, we went along with them to their SCMC (Skudai Chinese Methodist Church) for the customary new year day thanksgivings service.

The message in Chinese was on 八 福 (Eight Blessedness) taken from the Beatitude from Matthew 5. The Chinese are always fascinated with 福 - an apt subject for the occasion. The preacher's message focused on the first Blessedness, i.e., of being poor in spirit or humility.

One particular illustration is worth sharing.

In the Chinese iconographic language, the word for "stink" 臭, is a compound of three little words - self, big, and a dot. When a man thinks himself one dot bigger than he ought to, then it stinks.

Apostle Paul has warned the same in Romans 12:3 KJV — For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Lesson: 
I stink to the heaven when I think one dot bigger of myself than I ought to think soberly. Thank you Lord for the lesson.
Another lesson: when I think myself humble, then assuredly I'm NOT humble.
Another reminder: if I'm humble, I shall readily admit my wrongs and ask for forgiveness.

Thank you, Lord.