Things New and Old

Ancient truths revealed in the Scriptures are often forgotten, disbelieved or distorted, and therefore lost in the passage of time. Such ancient truths when rediscovered and relearned are 'new' additions to the treasury of ancient truths.

Christ showed many new things to the disciples, things prophesied by the prophets of old but hijacked and perverted by the elders and their traditions, but which Christ reclaimed and returned to His people.

Many things taught by the Apostles of Christ have been perverted or substituted over the centuries. Such fundamental doctrines like salvation by grace and justification have been hijacked and perverted and repudiated by sincere Christians. These doctrines need to be reclaimed and restored to God's people.

There are things both new and old here. "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things"
2Ti 2:7.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Free Offer of Salvation - a popular superstition!

 

Original post and exchanges here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10202676132959960&set=a.10202676126119789

Free Offer of Salvation - a popular superstition!

An offer needs to be accepted. And supposing God offers salvation to those without salvation and waits for them to accept that salvation, what would be the outcome?

The superstitious Chinese make very generous offerings to their dead relatives... and those offerings just rot at the graves (unless they take the offerings home and fill their own belly with them!). The dead have no ability to accept the offerings.

Why are some so blind to such a simple truth? Scriptures say - judicial blinding. And remember, the dead need no further blinding. It is the stiff-necked children of God who are blinded from the obvious truth.

1. If eternal salvation is indeed offered,
- who offers it (God, or preacher, etc)?
- to whom offered (those in their native state of sin and death, those already regenerated, or if there is a 3rd group, tell us), and
- when is it offered (at the preaching of the gospel)?

2. If eternal salvation is indeed offered,
- it must be offered to those STILL without that salvation. If that be true, how would such who are still dead in trespasses and sins be able to accept what is offered?
- If eternal salvation had been offered to you while you were without that salvation, i.e. still in your native state of sin and death, would you have the ability to accept it?

3. An offer by one party implies the action of acceptance by the other party for there to be a transaction. Therefore that transaction is CONDITIONED upon an action of the person who is offered eternal salvation.
- The free offer folks have just turned "salvation by grace alone" into a shibboleth, and nonsense!

Before you dismiss simple reasoning, remember it is the LORD God himself who summoned, 'Come, let us reason together..."

The grace of God that purposed eternal salvation for the elect, and accomplished it for the same people, is ALSO the same grace that sovereignly and freely APPLIED that same salvation to each individual of the same people, at God's own appointed and approved time.

God DID NOT offer salvation. He sovereignly APPLIES that salvation to an elect when he was still in his native state of sin and death, in enmity and rebellion against God. The Calvinists (and their first cousins Arminians) imagine such dead in trespasses and sins can accept an offer from God!

That's the gospel, and God's children (elect to whom salvation HAS BEEN APPLIED personally) are summoned to believe the truth of their salvation, the gospel, the good news of what God HAS DONE by His free and sovereign grace.

The "offer of salvation" fable is BAD NEWS to the dead in trespasses and sins, and makes the preachers appear completely superstitious and stupid (i.e. lacking common sense!).

 Supposing you were dead in the grave, and a sincere Calvinist (or his first cousin Arminian) came offering your life... waiting for you to accept his most sincere and generous offer - that's what he thinks he is doing.  The fact is, he is doing the most cruel and wicked thing - mocking and taunting and insulting the dead!

I'm sure you know why.
===========

Gary Brinson
I truly appreciate the truth expressed in this. Thank you, Bro Gary Brinson

John Vanderzyden
Good day, Sing. It was really bad news when Calvin wrote that there is nothing that can be done, and the MOST men are created for destruction. Not only is that horrible news, but it is nonsensical. Unbiblical.

I notice a lack of Scripture in your rationale. So allow me to present a small sampling from the Word which makes it abundantly clear that men either receive or reject the salvation that God offers in grace. Only in the context of human freedom and divine freedom can we make sense of the grace and the gifts of God. He freely offers, and we freely receive. This is love, not works.

First, you are forgetting many passages of Scripture which indicate volition and perseverance.

1 Corinthians 9:16–18 (NASB95)
16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.
17 For if I do this VOLUNTARILY, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.
18 What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may OFFER the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:26–27 (NASB95)
26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air;
27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be DISQUALIFIED.

John Vanderzyden
You also seem to neglect passages on RECEIVING. Receipt means free choice. Receipt is the opposite of rejection. An offer must given before one can receive.

Luke 9:47–48 (NASB95)
47 But Jesus, knowing what they were thinking in their heart, took a child and stood him by His side,
48 and said to them, “Whoever RECEIVES this child in My name RECEIVES Me, and whoever RECEIVES Me RECEIVES Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great.”

Luke 10:10–11 (NASB95)
10 “But whatever city you enter and they do not RECEIVE you, go out into its streets and say,
11 ‘Even the dust of your city which clings to our feet we wipe off in protest against you; yet be sure of this, that the kingdom of God has come near.’

Luke 18:17 (NASB95)
17 “Truly I say to you, whoever does not RECEIVE the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.”

John 1:11–13 (NASB95)
11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not RECEIVE Him.
12 But as many as RECEIVED Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 5:41–44 (NASB95)
41 “I do not RECEIVE glory from men;
42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.
43 “I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not RECEIVE Me; if another comes in his own name, you will RECEIVE him.
44 “How can you believe, when you RECEIVE glory from one another and you do not SEEK the glory that is from the one and only God?

John 16:24 (NASB95)
24 “Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will RECEIVE, so that your joy may be made full.

and on and on and on....

John Vanderzyden
Rejection is also a free choice. Rejection is the opposite of reception.

John 12:48 (NASB95)
48 “He who REJECTS Me and DOES NOT RECEIVE, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

Luke 20:17 (NASB95)
17 But Jesus looked at them and said, “What then is this that is written:

‘THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED,
THIS BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone’?

Luke 7:30 (NASB95)
30 But the Pharisees and the lawyers REJECTED God’s purpose for themselves, not having been baptized by John.

Luke 9:22 (NASB95)
22 “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be REJECTED by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day.”

Luke 10:16 (NASB95)
16 “The one who listens to you listens to Me, and the one who REJECTS you REJECTS Me; and he who REJECTS Me REJECTS the One who sent Me.”

Luke 17:25 (NASB95)
25 “But first He must suffer many things and be REJECTED by this generation.

Romans 11:13–15 (NASB95)
13 But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,
14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.
15 For if their REJECTION is the reconciliation of the world, what will their ACCEPTANCE be but life from the dead?

and on and on and on....

Sing F Lau
"First, you are forgetting many passages of Scripture which indicate volition and perseverance..."
====

Just who are these passages addressed to - the spiritually dead, or those already made alive freely by the grace of God?

John Vanderzyden
Is the Bible written only to the Calvinistic elect?

John Vanderzyden
Also, please read the other passages on receiving and rejecting, and then let's discuss the audience for those teachings.

Sing F Lau
That's better - asking questions is better than making statements.

The Scriptures is written for God's children, declaring to them the good news of what God has done to save them in and through the Lord Jesus Christ. God's children are found in every RELIGIONS, and they needed to be reached with the truth of their salvation by God's free and sovereign grace. And in case you think I'm a calvinist, you couldn't be more mistaken.

John Vanderzyden
Here is a statement: The Bible was written to all men. ALL.

John Vanderzyden
You seem to be avoiding the abundance of Scripture that asks men to make a choice: if you do not receive, then you reject.

John Vanderzyden
Even if you are not a Calvinist , you hold to a central precept of Calvin: Election is individual and unconditional. Correct?

Sing F Lau
I hold to a central teaching of Christ taught Apostle Paul...
3 ¶ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Sing F Lau
You seem to be avoiding the abundance of Scripture that asks men to make a choice: if you do not receive, then you reject.
=======

Try getting a man dead in trespasses and sins to choose.
2:1 ¶ And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

John Vanderzyden
You are not acknowledging the passages that I wrote to you. Why is that?

In 1 Corinthians 2, we read that a man must RECEIVE the Spirit before he can discern the things of God. Otherwise, He will be unable in His natural state to understand.

Ephesians 1 concerns the elect people of God, whom God chose corporately before the foundation of the world.

But I notice that you are avoiding the passages that I set before you.

Sing F Lau
Which passage in 1Cor 2 say what you are saying?
Do you know to whom 1Cor was written?

Here:
2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

John Vanderzyden
You keep saying that 1 Corinthians was only written to the Calvinistic/Lutheran/Augustinian elect. But you do not reconcile your view with all of the passages that I wrote above. Why not?

Brother, please get the courage to deal squarely with those passages that I set before you. If you won't do that, then you have no warrant for your hermeneutic or for your attempts to teach it.

Sing F Lau
Ephesians 1 concerns the elect people of God, whom God chose corporately before the foundation of the world.
=====

Whom God chose before the foundation of the world, Christ came to save them in time, and the Holy Spirit APPLIES that salvation to each of the chosen ones when they were still dead in trespasses and sins.

John Vanderzyden
Brother, please get the courage to deal squarely with those passages that I set before you. If you won't do that, then you have no warrant for your hermeneutic or for your attempts to teach it.

I'll be back in awhile.

Sing F Lau
State each passage you want dealt with, and they shall be dealt with squarely, and roundly too!
Good night

John Vanderzyden
You have done nothing to justify your view of Scripture. And you don't have the courage. What does this say about your teaching?

John Vanderzyden
You think that God made most men to be vessels for destruction.

John Vanderzyden
You reject Jesus' teachings on receiving and rejection.

Sing F Lau
Is that a question or a statement?

John Vanderzyden
All statements.

You reject the plain words of Jesus. He is Logos, but you appear to reject some of His words. Why is that?

Sing F Lau
Christ said this:
3 Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

You obviously disagree with Jesus, and insist that those still dead in trespasses and sins are capable of receiving and accepting. S

John Vanderzyden
I set many such passages in front of you above, but you do not like words such as these, since they don't fit with "your" doctrine:

Luke 10:16 (NASB95)
16 “The one who listens to you listens to Me, and the one who REJECTS you REJECTS Me; and he who REJECTS Me REJECTS the One who sent Me.”

You keep changing the subject because it doesn't comport with "your" doctrine.

Sing F Lau
Luke 10:16... do you know who is Jesus speaking of? God's children among the jews who are unbelieving that Jesus is the Messiah.

John, if you want to continue here, do so with decency, and make no false accusations. You may lose your privilege here. Why do you accuse me of keeping changing the subject?

Except a man has spiritual life (i.e. born again), he is incapable of spiritual activities, like perceiving and believing and accepting spiritual things. That's the subject all along. You insist otherwise... i.e. those dead in trespasses and sins are capable of believing and accepting!

Sing F Lau
"You think that God made most men to be vessels for destruction."
====

The Calvinists most certainly believe that!!!

But I read this... the innumerable of the redeemed.
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;
12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

John Vanderzyden
Again a question: what is the means by which the spiritually dead gain the ability to believe? What is given? And what is the means of receipt? And what is the gift? Kindly justify ur answers with Scripture.

I notice, also, that you continue to avoid the passages about receiving and rejecting. Allow me to ask again, for the fourth time: why do you keep avoiding these passages?

Sing F Lau
Again a question: what is the means by which the spiritually dead gain the ability to believe ?
======

The spiritually dead MUST be born again first by the Spirit of God... ONLY those whom God has freely and sovereignly made alive have the ability to believe. The dead must first be given life BEFORE they can use the means - elementary.

The Spirit of God works the grace of faith in those regenerated, thus enabling them to believe. And faith cometh by hearing.

Which part do you not understand, or don't believe?

Sing F Lau
State each passage and I will deal with each one by one. I don't avoid Scriptures. If I am of your spirit, I say you are blind to the answers I have given. Thanks. Must go to work now.

John Vanderzyden
Now you are calling me blind. That is typical of those who insist conformity with a special theological slant that is only justifiable by a few verses.

Like the Calvinist, you are saying that a man does nothing. God does everything in advance. This is divine determinism. On your view, man chooses nothing and is not held accountable for his faith, repentance, or obedience.

As I have shown extensively, you neglect many parts of Scripture and instead cling to your preconceptions. You cling to a tradition, instead of the Word in its entirety.

John Vanderzyden
Moreover, none of what you espouse pertains to the gospel. Conformity to your view of unconditional election is entirely unnecessary, and yet you treat others shamefully over such advanced and peripheral issues.

Sing F Lau
"Moreover, none of what you espouse pertains to the gospel."
=====

Then you are the most obtuse man I have ever met.

Christ FREELY and SOVEREIGNLY giving eternal life to sinners while they were still dead in trespasses and sins without them doing anything (since they are incapable of any deed which should merit it) is at the heart of the gospel - good news.

It is BAD NEWS if sinners dead in trespasses and sins must perform the work of choosing and accepting the offer... Go, offer a Big Mac to a dead man... and tell him you love him very much and make him a great and genuine offer... and plead and persuade earnestly with him to accept your offer. Good luck to you, and that dead man.

I thank God the gospel is this:

Eph 2:1-6
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins...
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

Sing F Lau
Like the Calvinist, you are saying that a man does nothing. God does everything in advance. This is divine determinism. On your view, man chooses nothing, and is not held accountable for his faith, repentance, or obedience.
===============

I didn't say that.
That confirms you are not only blind, but obtuse and stiff-necked. If you have any quarrel with the Calvinist, here is not the place. You CHOOSE to see a phantom if you think I'm a calvinist.

And since you can HARDLY represent me correctly, you haven't earned the right to rave here - putting it very kindly! <LOL>

I say that God must first give a man salvation when he was STILL DEAD in trespasses and sins... then and only then, being spiritually alive, he is ENABLED and is capable of doing what God requires him to do... then and only then he is capable of choosing to do the will of God.

Life must precede the activities of life. Christ declared it... "Except a man be born again, he cannot..." That is a most basic maxim laid down by Christ Himself - you choose to be wilfully blind and kick against this fundamental truth from the lips of Christ Himself.

And also, if this is just such a peripheral issue, why are you wasting time here???

John Vanderzyden
The reason why I'm spending a bit of time on this issue is because I saw a post from you, in which you attempt to teach the things of God with the precepts of medieval European men.

As I see in other debates, and in your shameful treatment of others on your own personal FB timeline, you have nothing to support your claim.

You do not want to think about it. You do not answer critical questions, and you change the subject. And then you insult.

Entirely unimpressive.

Sing F Lau
I'm surprised you are still wasting time here!!!

You can't even state what I believe, and you rave and foam here - that's pretty shameful, isn't it? If you wish to quarrel with Calvin and his followers... take it up with them.

John Vanderzyden
But you sound much like Calvin, and you don't even realize it. You also sound like Mark Driscoll.

I'm just trying to see if there is anything of value here, since you made some tall claims in the OP.

Exactly what have you SHOWN us?

Sing F Lau
But you are a stiff-necked man who has made up your mind that I'm a calvinist. That's your fault, not mine. I'm pretty much against calvinism.

Begone, I have no time to waste with you who see Calvin's ghost here!

John Vanderzyden
And you teach others?

Sing F Lau
That's a question, right?
No, I state my beliefs.

Some may wish to learn, others may wish to oppose; some agree, and others curse and rave. You happen to belong to the latter category, and I don't give a hoot!

Linda Lancaster
Salvation is by GRACE (God's empowering) alone, through faith (which is a gift from GOD). So it is all GOD; otherwise it would be of works. God draws men unto Himself. Men do not voluntarily go looking for GOD.

John Vanderzyden
Yes, regrettably, you have made it clear that you don't give a hoot about much of Scripture, especially about receiving and rejecting. Still there is no answer from you on this.

I do notice that you claim to be a pastor/teacher on your profile. If this is how you teach, then you have much to learn about comprehensive biblical interpretation.

Sing F Lau
Linda, salvation is by GRACE alone means salvation is the gift, and not faith. Faith is an effect of salvation freely given, a gift.

John Vanderzyden
Receive? Reject?

Sing F Lau
John, the spiritually dead cannot receive nor reject spiritual things... You just won't listen to what the Scriptures plainly declare. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. A man who is spiritually dead can't possibly discern spiritual things, thus much less be said to accept or reject the gospel, which is the things of the Spirit of God.

You insist otherwise, i.e. dead man can accept or reject your offer to him!!!

You are just wilfully blind, and refuse to read what I have said. I'm only repeating what I have stated.

Linda Lancaster
Acts 18:27 speaks of "those who had believed through grace" (those who had, through the grace of God, become believers in Christ). Paul says of the Philippians, "To you it has been granted...to believe in Him" (Phil. 1:29). And in Ephesians 2:8, "By grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." Though Paul likely means "that salvation is not of yourselves," the point is similar. The ability to trust God for salvation is sovereignly given, not generated by human effort (cf. Jn. 6:44, 65). EMPHASIS OF EPH 2:8 "AND THAT NOT OF YOURSELVES". Grace is God's enabling power in our lives, so again I must reiterate that we have nothing to do with the thing called salvation because it is God who draws us.

John Vanderzyden
Sing, are you saying that Jesus is wrong? Jesus plainly says that men with either receive or reject what He teaches. But you are saying that He was mistaken.

John Vanderzyden
I accept all of the passages that you put in front of me, but you are discard many, many more that I set before you. Why?

Sing F Lau
Salvation by grace - "grace" speaks of the MANNER salvation is bestowed to the sinners dead in trespasses and sins.

THROUGH FAITH speaks of the BASIS of salvation. "Faith" refers to the faithfulness of Christ... Learn this truth well...

Rom 3:22 "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference."

Gal 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Linda Lancaster
Yes, and the MANNER is by God's empowering with the measure of faith that He gave us. Which for me means that we had nothing to do with our salvation. Everything, the grace, the measure of faith- is given by a FAITHFUL God, who will not have any perish, but all come to a knowledge of HIM.

John Vanderzyden
Yes, I know your position. That does not make it biblical. The notion of grace doesn't even feature in the verses you give here.

Men make choices, says Jesus. But you not will deal squarely with His words.

John 12:48 (NASB95)
48 “He who REJECTS Me and DOES NOT RECEIVE, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

Linda Lancaster
When I backslid, I made the choice, YES. But it was God, by His Holy Spirit who draw me back. It was Him who said "This far and no further". I knew that it was God who drew me back. So then after HIM drawing me back, I made the choice to come back to HIM. Before that I was merrily going on my backslidden way and would have still been there if it wasn't for MY SAVIOUR drawing me back.

Sing F Lau
When I backslid, I made the choice, YES. But it was God, by His Holy Spirit who draw me back. It was Him who said "This far and no further". I knew that it was God who drew me back. So then after HIM drawing me back, I made the choice to come back to HIM. Before that I was merrily going on my backslidden way and would have still been there if it wasn't for MY SAVIOUR drawing me back.

Sing F Lau
"Men make choices, says Jesus. But you not will deal squarely with His words."
==============
You are just so wilfully confused.

Men do make choices...

The only choices sinners dead in trespasses and sins make is ENMITY and REBELLION against GOD.

They are dead as far as their ability to make choices in accepting or rejecting salvation. They have no capacity for discerning the things of the Spirit of God (and I don't quote Scriptures because I assume you know where the Scriptures say so) - much less accepting or rejecting. They stand in need of salvation bestowed to them FREELY and SOVEREIGNLY when they are incapable of making a choice of salvation.

God's children - those sinners dead in trespasses and sins having been given eternal salvation freely and sovereignly by God - are capable of making choices... which explains all the commands to them to obey.

You choose to disbelieve the plain statement of Christ, "Except a man be born again (i.e. given eternal life, raised from a state of spiritual deadness to spiritual life, etc), he CANNOT.... he CANNOT..."

Yea, let God be true, but every man a liar!

John Vanderzyden
So, you reject Jesus words. And instead substitute your own.

I have given you verses, and you ignore them. That is because you are insecure in your narrow hermeneutic.

Again, these are the words of Jesus:

John 12:48 (NASB95)
48 “He who REJECTS Me and DOES NOT RECEIVE, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

Why do you not listen to Him?

Sing F Lau
That's a good start. You bring a Scriptures. Let's look at this Scriptures then.

Read this, and explain to me who is Jesus speaking of... John 12:40 (KJT)

"He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them"
- to God's children among the Jews, or
- to sinners dead in trespasses and sins.

You are a man addicted to sound bytes, and are unaware of it!!!

Sing F Lau
We don't need to waste further time. Enough has been said.
We are disagreed. I didn't say you need to believe what I believe. You needn't get so worked up by what I believe.

John Vanderzyden
We didn't even get to disagreement. You did not even start. You cannot justify your position, but you cling to it anyway. Moreover, you dismiss the words of Jesus in regard to receiving and rejecting. That is not my problem, and not merely a disagreement.

It is a grave error: disrespectful to the Word of God, and to the work that Jesus did on the Cross. How can you dare ignore what He says?

If this is how you study the teachings of Jesus, then how can we rely on anything you post, whatsoever?

How very, very sad. 🙁

Sing F Lau
Thanks. You are right. Thank for you raving.
You COMPLETELY rejected Christ's word "Except a man be born again, he CANNOT..." That's a real choice you have made!

I will let you have the final say... and I will leave this post.

Ann Atwood Fraley
My Arminian friends tell me that Christ's death on the cross made them alive and able to accept. When they reject the offer, they become spiritually dead.

John, and Sing, permit me to interject an answer to John's scripture that he feels you have ignored. I don't know Sing, nor do I know John. I just recognize the belief being stated by Sing, which is that of my own church. Before I go to the specific verses cited by John, let me lay a foundation with 2 Timothy 2:15. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

We know that we are not admonished to separate truth from falsehood in the scriptures, as there is only truth. So what are we rightly dividing? Our doctrine teaches that we are dividing between two different salvations taught and described in God's word. There are many instructions given that use the word "save" and yet many other scriptures that speak of a sovereign God who has chosen his elect children before the foundation of world. So, how do we reconcile these seemingly conflicting verses and teachings? (for example Romans 9:11-13).

The fact is that we have every opportunity to 'save' ourselves from the consequences of sin here in our earthly lives by walking in obedience to God. As a matter of fact, most of the New Testament is written to us as a guide to the Godly life that leads to the most fulfilled existence we can achieve. In the verses you cite from Corinthians, there is not one case where the words eternity or anything other than a reward is referenced. Our reward here is favour with God. It's not even riches or acclaim, but peace with our Saviour and Creator. In verse 18, we read "What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may OFFER the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel." You are equating the gospel with eternal salvation. The word gospel in scripture simply refers to the truth and good news of God's love for us. That is what is being offered. Not eternal salvation, and it doesn't even use those words. As an aside, I would also point out that this New American Standard version is based on two foundational texts, one of which is the "Codex Vaticanus", which is known for having many corrections and gross omissions. Therefore, in any discussion with those who prefer the King James Version of 1611 there will be a lack of respect for citations from other translations. I am trying to go back and highlight other passages from the verses you provided but this interface is requiring me to end this comment and pick it up again. My apologies.

Ann Atwood Fraley
More on the concept of timely or temporal salvation, an idea I almost never see discussed outside of those among believers in the doctrine of Sovereign Grace; we know there is no discord in Scripture. There can be no conflict or contradiction in a correct reading and interpretation of scripture. Therefore, there must be a way to address the seeming error between the notions of accepting or receiving salvation as opposed to verses that state that eternal salvation is either all of grace or all of works. (Romans 11:6) So, let return to 1 Corinthians. You have cited chapter 9, verse 26. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. This is not a reference to salvation. This is referring to his potential status as a failed preacher. He is writing this to the church. They are all believers. If we apply your interpretation and understanding, they have all accepted and asked for a home in Heaven, as has Paul. Can Paul fall from grace if he does not keep his will and body under subjection to the Lord? Is his salvation predicated on this behavior? Unless I misunderstand your doctrine, I would say no. So how can this be a reference to eternity? I would like very much to go verse by verse, but I find I need to close and take care of getting a gift for my mil's birthday and help prepare for my sister to move on to our property so you will excuse me, I hope. As and exercise, please re-visit each verse you cited and see whether you can apply a reference to salvation from the snare of this world in the messages and whether they more aptly mesh with the verses that give a picture of a sovereign God who has chosen a people and sent His son to earth to redeem them. Please consider John 6:37 and the surrounding verses, with the caveat that the verses after 37 are written to those who have been regenerated (born again) and converted to belief by the work of God. Other wise, they clash with the familiar verses about those who come to Christ being given to him by God. If we are all given to Christ to save, as your belief would hold, then we are all saved and yet we both believe in a literal Hell. Also, in Matthew 1:21 it says "

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." It does not say he will make it possible to be saved or that he will offer salvation. It says he SHALL save HIS people from their sins. It is much harder to reconcile a view of offered salvation with these accounts than it is to consider a temporal salvation taught alongside an unconditional gift of grace to be with our Lord forever in Heaven. And also, btw, we believe the vast majority of mankind is included in the elect, as opposed to Calvin who did not.

Sing F Lau
Ann, that's enough material for DTh!

Ann Atwood Fraley
Haha.
Some things don't have short answers.
Oh, and what is DTh?

Sing F Lau
Some kind of title behind some very 'learned' folks! Don't know what that is. Maybe "Don't Trust him!"

Ann Atwood Fraley
Oh, Doctor of Theology. haha

Ok, then. I want college credit.

"Don't trust him" haha. Sounds like "piled higher and deeper" for Phd

Jeff Heuer
I love the picture, it says it all.

Maybe it would be better to dig up the dead and shove the food down their throat.